Smile And Love Always!

Friday, December 20, 2013

"Old is Gold!"

As I sat in my favorite coffee house enjoying my overpriced Grande, Soy....an older gentleman asked if he could come and sit next to me. I happily obliged his request and the opportunity to share the space with him. Even though my high priced coffee compels me to think that I have invested real estate whenever I pop in on a daily basis, the fact of the matter is the Grande cup is the only real estate that I actually own in this coffe house.

He begins to start sharing with me his Life and what he is going through. I preface the remainder of this Blog to illustrate the number of epiphanies that I was inundated with as I hung on to every word that emanated from his mouth, as I simultaneously tried to make them out over his rather heavy accent.

The most important epiphany came to me at the crack of dawn when I realized that what I read the night before would prepare me for what I was about to encounter the very next day. The words of what I read were: "Stop living by what you feel and live by what God says!" Those words pounced on me with enormous ferocity and have yet to relinquish their hold on me. I fell asleep and awoke to that same sentence playing over and over again. I absorbed and allowed it to consume me and just in the nick of time.

As I prepared my son for school, I declared the "New Day" for what it was going to mean, what God said it will be, and NOT how I felt about anything. And in doing so, I was prepared to take on and receive my work for the day.

Of all of the things that I was able and Blessed to accomplish, my Greatest task was yet to materialize. Generally, my Grande would come in the morning, but it was not to be on this day. For what I needed to do and where I needed to be, had nothing to do with me or that cup of coffee.

I got over myself and those draining feelings of my own and heard what God said in repeated fashion. "It is not what "I" feel, but what God says." The importance of this is critical to everything and should not befall the deaf ears of anyone. In doing so, I approached the "New Day" for the Blessing that it was to be, for the Glory of God.

Had I been consumed by my own "things" that I had going on, I could not have possibly and adequately positioned myself for this 72 year old man to open up to a complete stranger. That illumination is due to the creation of the Word of God that I insatiably devour on a daily basis.

This gentleman was in need of someone to just "listen to him." I let him talk so much that he thanked me for doing so and wanted to turn his monologue into a dialogue, offering me the chance to speak. I initially sensed the need for him to be heard and I relinquished my need to speak so that he could get it all out. What this gentleman shared with me I will forever cherish and am Grateful to him for doing so. I am Grateful to God for using me as such and I am also Grateful for the availability to do much, by way of playing a small part.

I realized the microcosm that I commonly refer to as "challenges" and began to embrace them as Victories after hearing the "challenges" that this young 72 year old man is faced with on a daily basis. The same daily basis that I use in order to satisfy my gourmet coffee fix. How dare me! How dare I posture myself and my lips to utter a single "challenge" out of my mouth when I want for nothing outside of a cure for Diabetes. And even if that cure never happens, King Jesus already has, so that utterance is rapidly categorized away with all of the others.

At the conclusion of our Conversation, he shared some more gems with me. He also said, "you know once upon a time, people thought "Old is Gold." People used to think like that, but no more. Nowadays, they throw people my age into the trashcan and treat us like nothing." That resonated with me to my core!

The coffee house was the location. The opportunity was the platform. And I was the audience for him to deliver his message.

Contrary to what the world says and does, I BELIEVE what God says and does! And the night before, followed by the next morning when I needed to "stop living by what I felt and start living by what God said," I was able to get over myself, hear God's voice and do what I was meant to do on this day, which was just to "listen" and to subsequently declare, "Sir, irrespective of what the world thinks and says, "Old is Gold," STILL!"

Thank you for imparting your heart to me. Thank you for allowing me the privilege to receive. Thank you sharing in what we both believe. God is Real and "Old is Gold!" I will be Praying for you Mr. R!

God, Love, And Smile Always!
Corey A. Ford

No comments: