Smile And Love Always!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

"Did You Wash These Grapes?"

Why do we all have a tendency to ask questions that we already know the answers to?

I have been guilty of and quite honestly have been perturbed by inquiries where I thought that the answer should have been obvious. Before uttering a single word in response, I think that my facial expressions had the chance to answer before my brain told my mouth what it needed to say, perhaps gently.

Having brunch with my children my son quite honestly asked me a simple question: "Daddy,"Did You Wash These Grapes?""

I looked up at my son and then looked over to my daughter before telling him, "Daddy actually rolled the grapes in dirt before I put them on your plate." While he thought I was serious, his sister was clearly in on the joke. I couldn't resist pulling his leg a little while longer before honestly answering his question.

I did not have it in me to be perturbed at my sons inquiry. It was an honest question. Afterall, I have always encouraged them to ask and to be satisfied with the response before they move forward. If they do not feel comfortable with the response, they have a choice to make, a decision to render. But once they do feel comfortable, move forward.

Such an innocent question that had me thinking far beyond the question itself and deeper than the meaning that any conclusion that could have been drawn.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, we ALL ask questions that we already know the answers to. The question that we do not know the answer to is "why?" Do we need to double up on the answer knowing that the subsequent response to the initial and identical question is actually the same result? Who knows!?!

Since I too have been guilty of asking the same question more than once, I guess I should tame my facial expressions and make them wait for my brain to catch up so as not to give the impression that someone else's inquiry is not relevant, relative or unnecessary.

Mind you, relentlessly asking the same questions will accomplish nothing. Like I told my children: "If they do not feel comfortable with the response, they have a choice to make, a decision to render. But once they do feel comfortable, move forward."

After much ado about a little dirt on grapes, I responded to my little guy by ensuring him, "yes son, Daddy washed the grapes."

Maybe that assurance was all that he was looking for afterall?

So, do not let your facial expressions beat your brain to the punch. Smile profusely and respond gently.

Love and My Mother are My Inspiration!
Love and My Mother are My Motivation!
Love and My Mother are My Celebration!
Love and My Mother are My Dedication!

All the Best, All the Time!

Smile,
Corey

No comments: