Smile And Love Always!

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

"That Wasn't Supposed To Happen"

Yes it was!

I always tell my son not to play ball in the house. And then he talks me into playing ball WITH him in the house. I began to appreciate his strategy once I figured out that I underestimated his wit and charm. What do they say about the apple...not falling...too far...from the...tree? Well, that's ANOTHER Blog altogether.

To prove my point and demonstrate to my son that Daddy knows what he's talking about, I allow my son to continue playing ball in the house so that the lesson that he needs to learn becomes tangible to him.

At first he delicately tosses the ball before looking in my direction to see if I am going to respond to the fact that he is breaking the rules. I know this and peripherally acknowledge his look. But I continue on doing what I'm doing as the delicate toss becomes more intentional and still, I say nothing.

You see he knows that he is breaking the rules and if I were to interrupt the flow, he will not appreciate why the rules are even in place to begin with. But, I say nothing.

As he continues to toss the ball around, his level of confidence has grown and builds enough to rival your favorite city's skyscrapers. Still, I say nothing.

Lost in his excitement that Dad has seemingly thrown the rules out of the window since he has not run interference, my son is literally beside himself. No, literally!

He begins to chunk the ball as IF he really IS outdoors playing, oblivious to the glass or other breakable objects that could soon meet their demise if he kicks or tosses the ball with too much emphasis, in their direction. But still, I say nothing.

All the while I am saying absolutely NOTHING, I am paying close attention to EVERYTHING that he is doing for the arrival of the moment that I DO need to run interference.

With excitement overflowing, he dipped into the "you know you're breaking the rules by playing ball in the house well" one too many times. And now his drought begins because the ball has successfully and inevitably connected with something breakable.

He feels the warmth of "the LOOK" upon him and by the time he lifts his head to engage my patient eyes, he quickly utters: "That Wasn't Supposed To Happen."

GOD knows that I Love my children! They have made me a BETTER person, an IMPECCABLE human being, a HUMBLE man, a TIRELESS individual, LOVE filled, overflowing with INTEGRITY, all on my way to becoming a permanent soldier on the straight and narrow path.

I look to my Heavenly Father in the same way and manner that my son looks at his father and utter the exact same words when I too have dipped into that "you know you're breaking the rules by playing ball in the house well" one too many times.

I feel the warmth of "the LOOK" upon me as I quickly utter to HIM: "That Wasn't Supposed To Happen."

But, yes it was!

That is exactly how we learn from our mistakes.

Smile!

Love and My Mother are My Inspiration!
Love and My Mother are My Motivation!
Love and My Mother are My Celebration!
Love and My Mother are My Dedication!

All the Best, All the Time!
Corey

No comments: