Smile And Love Always!

Friday, September 18, 2009

"Fantastic Dinner"

After "Creating My Own Lane" yesterday, I found myself pondering what to cook my kids for dinner on the way home from work. I like to get creative, keep it interesting for them in the same manner in which they keep it creative and interesting for me.

I always solicit my children for their feedback with respect to the meals that I prepare for them, whether it is breakfast, lunch, brunch or dinner. I try to stay conscious of the fact that our taste buds are like our fingerprints, unique to each of us and similar to none of us.

I sat down to eat with them and without having to ask, I saw their elation at what was prepared for them. It made me elated that I could do that for them considering the fact that they are not shy about not liking something and happily leaving it "untouched" in the process.

The funny thing about kids not liking a particular dish is the visual that one can get. Imagine a child eating everything on their plate and then excusing themselves from the table. Then the parent comes along and puts a particular dish on their empty plate. Everything is gone with the exception of that new dish that you just put on their already empty plate. That is exactly what you might as well do when you discover a dish that is unsavory to a child, your child or any child for that matter. It will be left on the plate as if the parent put it on the plate AFTER they had already been excused from the table. You gotta Love the brutal honesty of kids!

You know nothing made my wonderful Mother Smile more brightly than when we praised her culinary skills and gave thanks to her for replenishing our nutritional value and strength with a well cooked, delicious meal.

Throughout the course of our busy days and lives and from time to time we forget to acknowledge the gestures, both large and small that make all the difference in our lives.

Just a few days prior a colleague forwarded me something that reminded me that "Your Labor Is Not in Vain."

So, when I sat down to eat with my kids, my beautiful daughter proceeded to tell me that I had prepared a "Fantastic Dinner" for them. I looked up at her with that same bright Smile that my wonderful Mother looked at her kids with as her little brother co-signed what his big sister had just told me!

It had nothing to do with my culinary skills! It had everything to do with the fact that I felt appreciated. I did not solicit them for their feedback, they just appreciatingly offered it to me by calling their meal a "Fantastic Dinner."

Of course she could have asked me to purchase her a car and I would have blindly obliged. But, it sure did feel good to be appreciated.

Yes, throughout the course of our busy days and lives and from time to time we DO forget to acknowledge the gestures, both large and small that make all the difference in our lives.

But I am so grateful that my reminder of such came from the daughter that I Love so much. My children remind me of the best that Life has to offer and keep me honest in my heart about "what TRULY matters," Love.

Before the end of TODAY, make sure to tell someone how much you appreciate the gestures, both large and small, that make all the difference in their lives. Then promptly stand back and admire that wonderful bright Smile. The same one that my Mother gave her kids, that I in turn gave to my kids.

Tonight, have a "Fantastic Dinner."

Love and My Mother are My Inspiration!
Love and My Mother are My Motivation!
Love and My Mother are My Celebration!
Love and My Mother are My Dedication!

All the Best, All the Time!
Corey

No comments: