Smile And Love Always!

Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Expectations"

I believe that we shy away from them so as to avoid any commitment to them at all.

I mean, you cannot miss what you do not have, right?

But I vehemently beg to differ.

I get my annual flu shots with the "Expectation" that I will not get the flu. Now I do realize that there is a very real possibility that I can still contract the flu, but "Expectations" allows me to proactively prepare for the very real reason that I may NOT get the flu.

Whenever Report Card season rolls around, much to the chagrin of some students, parents are hopeful that all of their hard work and dedication to their children's education has paid off and therefore have the "Expectation" that they will be in perpetual congratulatory mode as they celebrate their childs accomplishments. Yet it is "Expectations" that cause us to shout with joy when "Expectations" have been met or to dole out punishment when "Expectations" have not been met, as we put our John Hancock's on said Report Cards.

Within my Congregation, at any moments notice, you can witness the athletic abilities of members sprinting around or your eyes can actually SEE the Holy Ghost in the ones that have been GENUINELY touched by the Spirit. You see we have "Expectations" OF the LORD, when we are obedient TO the LORD and that is totally acceptable.

But when those "Expectations" rest squarely on OUR shoulders, we fast forward so that we can reminisce to a time when they did NOT rest squarely on our shoulders.

"Expectations" are a funny thing. I firmly believe that should you fail to create none, you can expect just THAT in return.

Hey, you cannot miss what you do not have, right?

But when you CREATE "Expectations," you are holding yourself accountable for meeting them, working at their level or exceeding them. Probably in the same capacity that your employer rates your work performance on an annual basis.

If you want to play it safe and never be disappointed, have zero "Expectations" and allow people to come in and out of your Life as THEY see fit.

But if you want to establish a bar and level of commitment, then CREATE "Expectations" holding yourself and the people in "YOUR Life" accountable, making sure that conduct in a manner that is not responsible is not acceptable.

I did say "YOUR" Life...

The refusal OF them invokes a defense mechanism that speaks specifically to the denial of responsibility TO them, since I am not accountable FOR them.

Thank GOD that my Mother had "Expectations" of me. She EXPECTED me to be a decent human being, a good man and a wonderful father. She created "Expectations," established a bar and continued to raise it the closer that I got to manhood, in preparation for me to one day hold myself both accountable and responsible for everything that has anything to do with "MY Life."

I will always have "Expectations" of the people that are within my Life with the caveat that my wisdom is fully aware of the fact that all of my "Expectations" will not be met all of the time.

But it is better to have SOMETHING to work towards as opposed to having NOTHING to celebrate when "Expectations" have been met. But then again, you can't celebrate or miss what you do not have, right? You cannot acknowledge the accomplishments that you refuse to be held accountable TO and responsible FOR by way of not creating "Expectations."

Whether resting squarely on my shoulders or not, with open arms wide, in "MY Life," I welcome "Expectations."

Love and My Mother are My Inspiration!
Love and My Mother are My Motivation!
Love and My Mother are My Celebration!
Love and My Mother are My Dedication!

All the Best, All the Time!
Corey

No comments: