Smile And Love Always!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Just Like A Daddy"

My "Children" recently saw a picture of my Mother and I that dated years back. In perfect unison, they equally chimed, "that's Daddy!" I was rocking a mustache and had quite a bit of hair atop my head.

So I asked them if they preferred Daddy WITH or WITHOUT a mustache and they both said, "no mustache Daddy!" I also asked them if they preferred Daddy WITH or WITHOUT hair and they both said, "no hair Daddy!" My daughter proceeded to go back to what she was doing and my son came to me, embraced me and said, "Daddy, I want you to stay, "Just Like A Daddy!""

I immediately took what my son said and on the surface I was under the impression that he did not like my "other" appearance and much preferred the appearance that he has always known.

After much deliberation, I firmly believe that my son was saying, Daddy, don't change! I know you as my Father, a provider, a friend, a playmate, a companion, a protector and a dependable source of protection. Sound familiar?

I believe my son thought that should Daddy change, that Daddy WOULD change, thus altering what he KNEW his experience of "Daddy" to be. I promised my son that Daddy would not change and that he can look forward to what he knows as Daddy to be, his Father forevermore. Nothing could ever change that fact because an outward appearance does not alter or change my internal makeup. He smiled.

My son embraced me again, he took another look at the picture of his grandmother and I and he said, "that's my Daddy!"

Are you not glad that regardless of our outer appearance that HIM being our Father never changes, alters or is modified from what we have come to know it as? HE remains "Just Like A Daddy" every day of every week of every month of every year.

As a parent, as a loving father and then as a human being and finally as Corey, my "Children" demand that I keep my growth on par with theirs.

When they are old enough to read Daddy's Blogs and additional writings, they will then realize that their youthful innocence taught their Father more life lessons than I could have ever imagined or bargained for.

I'm going to take my "Children's" advice with respect to my appearance because I too prefer it now as opposed to then, all the while I simultaneously heed my son's additional advice and stay "Just Like A Daddy."

Love and My Mother are the Inspiration!
Love and My Mother are the Motivation!
Love and My Mother are the Celebration!

All the Best, All the Time!
Corey

No comments: