Smile And Love Always!

Monday, January 25, 2010

"Letter of Resignation"

There comes a time in everyone's Life that it is time to move on. An old Director of mine once said, "when you move on, make sure it is TOWARDS something as opposed to running AWAY from something else." The best advice he ever gave during our professional relationship together.

That professional relationship served its purpose in both capacities and in order for you to keep moving, you need to move on. There might not be any room within the organization or the company that would allow you to make a career out of it, ultimately retiring from.

Although it might seem like a difficult decision to make, it is abundantly clear that it is the only choice that you have in which to make.

My Mother used to remind me to "never burn your bridges, Corey. You might have to cross back over them one day." I have tendered numerous letters throughout my career and two things remain constant. One: I LISTENED to my Mother and I never burned any of those bridges. Two: I was never afraid to move on.

The good thing about moving on without having burned any bridges is the fact that you can do so with a clear conscious, knowing that all of the experience and expertise that you brought to the table was genuine and sincere and upon your departure, you left it as such, if not better.

But when you burn that bridge, all of your previous hard work and dedication are now tarnished because you were running FROM something as opposed to running TOWARDS something else. In other words, no two week notice, you just up and quit, completely sabotaging all that you have accomplished from the lasting perception that people now have of you, by the way that you chose to bow out.

We tend to think that those "Two Week Notices" serve the purpose of transferring the knowledge by passing the baton to the replacement or the placeholder for the replacement from the one that had all of the knowledge. But even if you were only in your job for 6 months, you could not possibly transfer ALL of what you know to the next person in just two abbreviated weeks.

Therefore, I tend to look at those "Two Week Notices" as an opportunity for someone who did it the right way by NOT burning their bridges to exercise or exorcise by purging out all of the old in clear preparation for all of the new.

Now take all of the above relative to your professional Life and career and now apply it to your personal Life and career.

If there is no room within "THAT organization or within THAT company" that would allow you to make a career out of it, ultimately retiring from, spending eternity with, then tender your "Letter of Resignation" and move on to something better. But not because you are running FROM something, but because you now choose to run TOWARDS something else.

Some people will even keep the "lines of communication" open by offering up ways to communicate on a personal level. But have you ever noticed that not everyone is on that emails distribution list?

Nonetheless, you know what is ultimately best for you and no one else owns or can make that decision on your behalf, unless you give them the power to do so. But, by tendering my "Letter of Resignation," I remove the power FROM and apply all of its energy TOWARDS, the future.

Thank you for the opportunity and please accept my "Letter of Resignation."

Enc.

Love and My Mother are My Inspiration!
Love and My Mother are My Motivation!
Love and My Mother are My Celebration!
Love and My Mother are My Dedication!

All the Best, All the Time!
Corey

2 comments:

Troy said...

Corey,

The concept you introduce here...running to something instead of away from something...that's invaluable advice.

Great post. This is something that myself or anyone else could immediately apply to our professional career or personal life.

Corey A. Ford said...

Troy,

Always armed with the foremost thought of "sharing," it is a joy to pass on what was initially passed on to me. A Blessing for a Blessing.

"All the Best, All the Time!"
Corey