Smile And Love Always!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Kids Toothpaste"

As a young boy that she was rearing to be a decent young man, my Mother would encourage me to abide by some "poverty tricks of the trade" to ensure that I had when I did not have the necessary financial resources to get what I needed, when I needed it.

In other words, when the funds were there and available, she would encourage me to "double up" on my necessities so that it would last me double the time in the event that something occurred and took precedence over the necessity, even though it was a necessity.

You see, there are no rules to being poor, hence the reason why those that are not poor do not comprehend the logic of those that are poor.

Although poverty is not a word that I would use to describe my Life now, I have never stopped using those "poverty tricks of the trade."

You see, it matters not how much you have. It could all be taken away...JUST LIKE THAT!

My mental inventory had me under the impression that I had an extra tube of "Kids Toothpaste" in my closet, but in all actuality and much to the chagrin of my daughter's taste buds, I had not.

So, as I proceeded to brush their teeth prior to bedtime, I informed them of Daddy's error and my son immediately quipped, "Daddy, don't you always buy two of everything?" My GOD, all I could do was Smile! A parents eternal joy to know that their kids are watching, to know that their kids are listening and to know that their kids are paying a healthy dose of attention. "Yes son, I sure do, but Daddy made a mistake because I thought that we had another one to spare."

My children reassured me that they were ok with using Daddy's toothpaste for the evening and the following morning's brush. As I proceeded to "help" brush their teeth, I was anticipating the moment that the flavor of my toothpaste met their taste buds for the very first time.

My daughter gave me her, "Dad, are you serious...this stuff is gross" look of DISapproval, while my son informed me, "Daddy, your toothpaste is spicy!"

I silently pondered that my kids were way too spoiled and convinced myself that "Daddy's Toothpaste" was just fine until I was able to get to the store and "double up" on replenishing their stock.

This morning, I decided to take a stroll in the shoes of my kids in order to gain a better perspective on their view of the world. I tried the "Kids Toothpaste" for the first time.

It was GROSS!

Therein lay the lesson for Corey, for parents and adults that work with, interface or interact with children.

If you want to taste what our children go through in their little lives, start by using your "Kids Toothpaste."

It's a humbling experience. And for quick starters, we get a "taste" of what they go through.

To GOD be the glory, forever!

Love and My Mother are My Inspiration!
Love and My Mother are My Motivation!
Love and My Mother are My Celebration!
Love and My Mother are My Dedication!

All the Best, All the Time!
Corey

4 comments:

K-Swiss said...

Cute post! I used to taste Gabbys new babyfood flavor when she was an infant! Her dad thought it was gross. I figured I didn't want to give her something without tasting it first

Unknown said...

I just stumbled upon your blog. I have thoroughly enjoyed it so much! Keep it up!

In Him,
Josh

Corey A. Ford said...

Hi Kasondra,

Some of that baby food is good though. Have you ever tried to trick Gabby by pretending to taste/eat something only to realize that she knew that you did not actually taste/eat it yourself? The look that they give you is PRICELESS!

"All the Best, All the Time!"
Corey

Corey A. Ford said...

Hi Josh,

I'm so glad that you caught your footing when you happened upon my Blog. I hope that you continue to thoroughly enjoy it. I greatly appreciate your words of encouragement and I thank you for that Blessing!

"In Him" is totally awesome!

"All the Best, All the Time!"
Corey