Smile And Love Always!

Friday, March 20, 2009

"The Other Way Around"

All four of them met at the door at the same time. The young lady was coming in and the three men were exiting. She grabbed the handle of the door and pulled it towards her, holding it open for each of them to walk through. Without skipping a beat, all three of the men did just that.

At the same time I noticed the bewildered look on her face I was shaking my head as I said "Jesus," thinking about My Mother, my daughter and my son. You see beauty might take you around the corner, up the block or down the street, but mannerisms will run a marathon on your behalf. There was nothing beautiful about this young lady holding open a door for three willing men to walk right on through with zero utterance, as if nothing was wrong.

As she proceeded to walk in my direction, we made eye contact and I was COMPELLED to tell her, "you know that should have been "The Other Way Around," right?" She responded, "I know, but what are you going to do?" What are you going to do? What are YOU going to do Corey?

That is exactly why I thought about My Mother and children. You see My Mother would have handed me my butt in a custom made basket with my name embroidered on the handle and adorned on each side had I pulled a stunt like that. REMEMBER: Mannerisms will run a marathon on your behalf.

Which brings me to my children. When it comes to our children we ALL think that the mold was broken after our kids were created. There couldn't possibly be more beautiful children than the one's that carry the same genes as the parents that co-created them. I am no different in this thought process. I believe that my children are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! But around the corner, up the block or down the street is not very far. And since mannerisms will run a marathon on your behalf, looks are SUBTRACTED from the equation, for they ADD no redeeming value when it comes to mannerisms.

I make sure that my son practices his "gentleman manners" with his sister every chance that he gets. He knows that "ladies first" is not an option and he will actually stutter-step remembering "ladies first" as we are out and about and it has momentarily slipped his mind. I have not informed him of the custom made basket with HIS name embroidered on the handle and adorned on each side. Its actually a hand-me-down from the one that My Mother had made for me (The names have been changed to protect the innocent).

Being the oldest, the hand-me-down process kind of bypassed me altogether, with the exception of mannerisms. They started with me and were demonstrated and reinforced by My Mother. The best hand-me-downs known to man, are mannerisms.

My daughter understands the process as well and with any kids, I deploy "tickler reminders" that should you desire to go further than around the corner, up the block or down the street, do not allow your looks to lead the way. Rather employ your mannerisms to run that marathon on your behalf.

Besides, Daddy would hate to have to pull those two custom made baskets with your names embroidered on the handles and adorned on each of the sides out of the closet and hand them to you with each of your butts in them.

Thank you for the basket Mother. I'm not around the corner, up the block or down the street. I'm actually down the road, on the highway, in another state. My mannerisms are still running that marathon on my behalf.

So, what am "I" going to do? Well, I'm going to continue to teach my children contrary to the ways that are being exhibited by people that think there is nothing wrong with a lady holding the door for quite capable men. As a man, I refuse to co-sign that!

Mannerisms should NEVER be absent. It should be "The Other Way Around." They should ALWAYS be present.

Love and My Mother are My Inspiration!
Love and My Mother are My Motivation!
Love and My Mother are My Celebration!
Love and My Mother are My Dedication!

All the Best, All the Time!
Corey

No comments: